Sunday 3 March 2013

PostSecret

As the first assignment for my journalism course, we were required to create a PostSecret. Now, while I understand that the whole point of the exercise is for the secret to remain, well, secret, I felt it was something worth posting about, and that I'm not longer afraid to share.


As it's meant to, I think that the card pretty much sums it up. For my twelfth birthday, my mother bought me a sewing machine, insisting that it would be useful and that sewing was a good skill to learn. Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I was never a particularly "cool" kid, and in the fragile social hierarchy of junior school, I just wasn't willing to risk my already low rank over a stupid, old-fashioned birthday present. A sewing machine? Really, Mom? I managed to convince any friend who asked that I "just got money", and whenever they asked how much, I mumbled something nondescript to avoid having to discuss the subject any further.

Now, as you can tell from this blog, I've come a long way since then, embracing my hobby rather than concealing it. I'm now proud of the fact that I can sew, and openly admit it to people - and, unlike grade 6 me would have expected, they usually seem pretty impressed. At the risk of sounding painfully narcissistic, I'm incredibly happy with the person I've become, and I'm glad, not only that I can sew, but also that I'm no longer afraid to admit it.

If anyone out there has a similar story, I'd love to hear about it and if you managed to overcome it.

LDP
x

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Lovely blog!

    Thanks for your comment on my forum post at chictopia. I like your blog and I am your newest follower now. Do you want to follow me back? Woudl be lovely :-)

    http://honeylaceandsugar.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have been so thrilled to get a sewing machine in 6th grade! At first I couldn't think of anything similar in my life, because overall I have accepted my rejection, though I have had my silly moments when I thought that things might change. But then I remembered how I wanted desperately to check out the complete Sherlock Holmes from the school library but never did because the book was so huge and I knew I would be made fun of for reading such a thick book. (This is an area where most people just do not read). I did read the stories, of course, but checked them out from the public library where they were available in smaller volumes! I am still embarrassed when I remember how I let my fears get in the way of what I really wanted.

    ReplyDelete